Tuesday, October 17, 2017

DADDY'S GONE FISHING

BY: DONNA SELMA LIND
hallelujahheraldblogspot.com
"DADDY'S GONE FISHING"

It has been a month since Daddy moved to Heaven. 

That's why I haven't written for awhile. I'm still getting used to him being gone. 

I was blessed to give Daddy's Eulogy at his memorial service and I thought I would share a bit of it with you today. 

My Grandparents were married in 1926, the doctors told them they would never be able to have children. 
BUT GOD! 
My Grandparents were great people of faith and they never stopped praying for a miracle baby. Nearly thirteen years later at the tail end of the Great Depression, in a little community called Roseland on the south side of Chicago that miracle baby was born. They named him "Thomas"after the Apostle in the Bible.
Three years later God surprised them with another miracle baby boy. 
Tommy and Jimmy grew up in an idyllic time and a place reminiscent of Mayberry and Leave it to Beaver. 

As a kid Daddy loved to go fishing. If he wasn't playing baseball or swimming, he would grab a fishing pole jump on his bicycle and ride down to the lake to go fishing. 

Grandma and Grandpa had dedicated their lives to serving the Lord and every Sunday the family went to Sunday School and Church together where they served as Teachers and Leaders.
My Grandparents were Youth Leaders and on Friday nights the Youth Group was held in their home where they studied the Bible as well as had Ice Cream Socials, Ping- Pong tournaments and Sock-Hops.

Daddy was a star athlete and had a gift in Art and Architectural Drafting.  

He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps at 18. 

He became an Ironworker in 1959 and worked his way up through the years to become a Superintendent. He also was the Union Steward for Ironworkers Local# 63. 
For almost fifty years Daddy worked on nearly every big Hi-Rise building in Chicago including, John Hancock, Sears Tower, Prudential,Water Tower just to name a few.
 Daddy really was a Superhero who climbed Skyscrapers by day and fished by night!

He loved his family, loved the USA, and our Military. He loved our Flag what it stands for and all who fought and continue to fight for our freedom.

And Fishing, Daddy loved Fishing.

My favorite memory of Daddy is from about ten years ago. We were sitting at the kitchen table and I prayed with Daddy to receive Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. 
Though Daddy grew up in a Christian home and went to church, he had never given his life over to the Lord until that day when I prayed with him. After that day Daddy had found a new peace and comfort with God.

On September 19, 2017 Daddy put his head down on his pillow and woke up in Heaven. 
He traded in his hard hat for a crown. 
His hammer for a fishing pole.

Fighting Parkinson's disease was a long hard battle but Daddy finally won the war and he will spend eternity in a glorified body. No more sickness, no more pain.

We will all miss him more than words can say, but I have the Blessed assurance that one day, we will walk the streets of gold together, fish in a river of living waters, laugh with joy unspeakable and together we will cast our crowns at the feet of Jesus.

Daddy's GONE FISHING in Heaven. 

Until that glorious day when we get to be together again, 
I'll be fishing too-right here on earth for more souls to come into the Kingdom of Heaven so they can meet my Daddy and my Heavenly Abba Father. 

"Go out into the deep water, and let down your nets for fish."Luke 5:4

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day- and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7, 8

HALLELUJAH! 

    PRAISE THE LORD AND SHARE THE GOOD NEWS!

Donna Selma Lind 💓





 




  





2 comments:

  1. I understand the missing of him and rejoice with you that he's off with his fishing pole. May you be comforted and blessed. Love you and still miss seeing you. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathi! It is a blessing knowing he is fishing with Jesus! I appreciate and miss you too! Love you, Donna Lind

      Delete

What's on your heart today?