Monday, November 28, 2016

"GIVE ME A BREAK!"

By: Donna Selma Lind



GIVE ME A BREAK! No, really. GIVE ME A BREAK! Sometimes I just need a break!
Do you know what I am talking about? It's like I go, go, go and give, give, give till I'm on empty and I have nothing left. I'm spent, shot,wiped, overdrawn, burned out, tapped,bushed, wasted, tuckered, drained, done in and worn out! Are you getting the picture? GIVE ME A BREAK!

I admit I have a history of pushing myself past the E for empty on my physical gas tank.
 I know I should stop and rest, BUT... and that's my problem, I HAVE A BIG BUT! ( for all of you who are pointing and laughing right now I only used one "t"in But! :)
Yes, my BIG BUT always gets in the way! I'm going to stop cleaning and rest, BUT first I'm going to finish organizing this closet. I'm going to stop working in the garden, BUT before I quit I am going to weed one more row. I am going to take time to exercise today, BUT I have to vacuum and make some phone calls first. My BIG BUT is always getting in the way of my taking time to rest and relax, so I go until I hit the wall and then it takes me a lot longer time to re-coup! Is there anybody else out there that has a BIG BUT that gets in the way of taking a break and enjoying a little R & R?

For me it started when I was a kid, always an overachieving working bee. Never wanting to appear lazy. I enjoyed working hard for what I had and nobody ever gave me anything that I didn't earn or work for.That is all fine and dandy but if not balanced out with rest and fun, it is only a matter of time before we, I crash and burn.

Even Jesus took breaks. Jesus stopped and rested. Jesus got away from the crowds. Jesus took walks along the shores of Galilee and retreated to the garden, he went fishing, he took a nap in a boat.
I imagine there were times when even Jesus thought to himself; GIVE ME A BREAK! 
(paraphrasing of course)

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest."

Genesis 2:2 "On the seventh day, he rested from all his work."

Mark 6:31 " Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

Exodus 33:14 The Lord replied "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

Psalm 23 "He refreshes my soul."

Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul finds rest in God."

No BUT'S about it! The Lord offers us rest and restoration throughout His Word.
So before our BUT'S get any bigger let's stop and take a break!

STEP AWAY FROM THE WORK! 
STEP AWAY FROM THE STRIVING! 
STEP AWAY FROM THE BUSYNESS! 

Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him."

SLOW ME DOWN LORD 
by: Wilifred A. Peterson

Slow me down Lord!
Ease the pounding of my heart by the quieting of my mind.
Steady my hurried pace with a vision of the eternal reach of time.
Give me, amid the confusion of the day, the calmness of the everlasting hills....

Teach me the art of taking minute vacations- of slowing down to look at a flower, to chat with a friend, to pat a dog, to read a few lines from the good book....

Slow me down, Lord, and inspire me to send my roots deep into the soil of life's enduring values that I may grow toward the stars of my greater destiny.

                                                        GIVE ME A BREAK!

HALLELUJAH! PRAISE THE LORD AND SHARE THE GOOD NEWS!

Donna Selma Lind 


If these words have touched your heart please leave me a comment below . I would love for you to  share your thoughts with me. Thanks and Blessings! 💓






 

3 comments:

What's on your heart today?